1896: Detroit Wheelmen gathered at their new club house

This article was originally published on page 6 0f the Detroit Free Press , March 8, 1896. Whatever happened to that little tin box they put in the clubhouse cornerstone? More information and photos of the Wheelman’s clubhouse:

Corner Stone is Laid: The Detroit Wheelmen gathered at their new home.

With a club yell and cheer, the little tin box containing records pertinent to the occasion was placed in the corner stone of the Detroit Wheelmen’s club house yesterday afternoon, and the band ———— [sic]. It was the red-letter occasion in the history of the organization, and now the members are feeling happy because they know they will soon have a home.

The members of the club formed at the house on Randolph street and marched to Monroe Avenue, thence to Woodward and north to Adams avenue, where the building is being erected. They were headed by the Parke, Davis & Co. band, and all wore the yellow and black of the organization. J. H. Gould, chairman of the building committee told the assembled hundreds of the hard work in marking a start, and of the progress of the fund since it was announced that there would surely be a club house. President Ed N. Hines recited the history of the club, which dates back to 1879 when the Detroit Bicycle Club was formed. Following this came the Star Club and the Ramblers and in 1890 the Detroit Wheelmen organize on Clifford street, moving to Miami Avenue [later renamed Broadway], thence into more commodious quarters on Washington avenue. From there the club made another move into the old dancing academy on Randolph street, and the next one will be into the handsome home of its own on Adams avenue, just east of the [Grand Circus] park.

In the box were the files of the Phonograph, the club’s paper, the constitution and list of members of both the Detroit Wheelmen and Unique Cycle Club, club colors and buttons and copies of the daily papers.

Behind the group of members at the front of the building was a sign in yellow and black, “D.W. 1879-1896.” After a photograph had been taken the members marched back to the club.

The Detroit Wheelmen promises to be one of the most popular clubs in Detroit and its membership will be very large by the time the club house is ready for occupancy on August 1. The spirit of good fellowship has brought many in and the acquirement of property will help more than anything else. The building committee, consisting of J. H. Gould, C. W. Lloyd, E. N. Hines, Theo. Osius, E. S. Anderson, L. Vineberg, and Harry E. Dennis, has worked long and hard for the house and the handsome structure will be a reward for the labor spent. The officers of the club at present are as follows:

President — Edward N. Hines

First vice-president — E. S. Anderson

Second vice-president — William H. Teskey

Secretary — A. E. D. Allan

Financial secretary — Charles Monnier

Captain — Ney Otis

Directors — Charles W. Lloyd, G. C. Sharer, J. H. Gould, Frank Chidsey, Louis Vineberg, James H. Hungerford, Edward C. Van Leyen, Ernest Venn and above officers

House committee — Frank Chidsey, chairman; James H. Hungerford, Charles Hamilton, Fred Luit, Charles R. Carlisle, Ernest Venn

Entertainment committee — H. E. Perry, chairman; W. R. Falkner, Russell Pearce, Frank Chidsey, Harry Hanshaw, James Cranshaw, Webster Campbell, A. E. D. Allan, Ney Otis, Morris Grabowsky, James Bell, Charles Duval, Charles W. Lloyd, J. H Gould

Race committee — L. Vineberg, chairman; W. E. Sewell, E. S. Anderson, A. T. Allan, Edward C. Van Leyen, L. C. Steers, W. H. Teskey, G. C. Sharer, E. Strubel, P. N. Bland, Charles Monnier, J. H. Gould, James H. Hungerford

Auditing committee — Theodore Oslius, chariman; J. A. Reid, W. H. Speaker

Librarian — Harry Chapman

Tags: , , ,

One Response to “1896: Detroit Wheelmen gathered at their new club house”

  1. Cycling in the City: Detroit Bike History | HOMETOWN HISTORY TOURS Says:

    [...] http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2011/09/07/1896-detroit-wheelmen-gathered-at-their-new-club-house/ [...]

Leave a Reply